Monday, June 6, 2011

Thoughtfulness and Wristbands

It has been a while since we have updated our blog, probably because we have been "coasting".  Jason and I were talking this weekend and realized that we had both been taking the same approach over the last couple weeks.  I am not sure if it was our doctor's recommendation to me to limit the amount of time that I ask Jason to talk about Brody, or that I was not getting any sleep because I was staying up late into the night reading about other families and their stories, or if Addison's demands for all of my attention where successful.  Nonetheless, I have found myself taking a break from "thinking so much" and rather choosing to focus almost all of my energy on other things.  I have chosen to avoid conversations and thinking about birth plans and death plans...it was becoming just too overwhelming.  We have an appointment at the University of Minnesota Hospital this Tuesday, and will need to discuss and deal with "the tough stuff" at that time.  I think I feel somewhat refreshed and am ready to deal with some difficult decisions and to face the reality that our time with him is drawing closer.  Of course we have no idea what our time with him will look like, but continue to trust that it is in our Father's hands. 

We have been overwhelmed by our family, our friends, and even people that we don't even know.  We are learning that Mr. Brody has quite the fan club, and again and again are reminded that we are so blessed to be the parents of this special little boy.  Thank YOU for providing us with those reminders:)

Very thoughtful friends of ours decided that other people (besides Jason and I) should be able to "carry" Brody with them as well.  Susan and Bill Pauling ordered blue wristbands that read "Blessed by Brody   Jeremiah 1:5" with the idea of raising money in his honor.  Again, we are overwhelmed with gratitude by the idea of this and are trying to wrap our heads around the numerous ways in which people show interest, concern, and their desire to help.  Your prayers and encouraging words have been more than enough, and are simply carrying us through this time.  That being said, we do understand that some people feel prompted to help in additional ways.  Here is a pic of the blue wristbands that we have been wearing proudly all weekend.


The thoughtful coordinators of the "Brody Wristband" have distributed them to other thoughtful friends of ours in order to get them out to thoughtful people who want them (yes, thoughtfulness has been a theme through all of this).  They are asking for a $5 donation that will go to a organization that we have chosen in honor of Brody.  Jason and I decided to spend some time looking into organizations that support disadvantaged children as we have had other interested people ask about memorials for Brody.  We feel strongly that any money donated in honor of Brody should go to children who still have a shot at life, but do not have a mom or a dad and the resources for a healthy life without support.  We have set up a donation page with a organization called "Friends of the Orphans" which supports children in Latin America and the Caribbean who have been orphaned or abandoned and are certainly disadvantaged.  If you are interested in learning more about this organization, you can visit Brody's donation page which has links to the organization's homepage.  Also, we would be happy to send you a wristband if that would be easiest.  Just shoot me a email at lindsey_vaughan@hotmail.com.

www.friendsoftheorphans.org/BrodyVaughan

Please know that we do not expect people to give financially or wear a wristband, and that this has all been yet another unexpected blessing from Brody.  Again, your prayers and supportive words have lifted our spirits, and revealed God's greatness to us.  We cannot say "thank you" enough, and ask that you continue to keep us in your prayers over the next few months.

We will certainly be providing a update after our visit to Brody's birthplace tomorrow.  Our next check-up and ultrasound is still a week away, but I can tell you now that if a baby's movement is any indicator of their strength, little Brody is going to be a fighter.  He has not stopped moving for several days now, and is putting my belly into all sorts of strange positions and shapes.  I pray that he comes into this world kicking and screaming like a wild man:)

Love,
Lindsey

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb.  Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my spokesman to the world."
-Jeremiah 1:5

1 comment:

  1. Looks like Jason has a future as a hand model!

    I have my bracelet on right now. We love you Brody!

    -Trent

    ReplyDelete